Know The Osmosing Volume

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

"If I'm That Close To Someone's Body, We're Usually Having Sex." Or, Everything You've Heard About Tokyo Public Transport Is True

This is just going to be a quick post, because it's bedtime soon (gotta get up in six hours), but today finally broke the record--I was bodily picked up in the station by the flood of people and moved into a train car. I did not move my feet. My body ended up in the car.

This is an incredible feeling, for those of you who have not experienced it. Imagine floating in a river. Now imagine that river is solid, warm, and a little bit sweaty, and you'll have a really bad idea of what happened to me today.

So I was shoved into this car by the desires of approximately half of Tokyo's population to get on THIS TRAIN DAMNIT, and subsequently found it difficult to breathe because my ribcage was so compacted by the people around me. My hand was crushed against my chest where I'd happened to raise it right before the flood began. My bag was clutched in my quickly-tiring other hand, hanging--well, being held against--my knees. I probably could have let go of that bag and it would have stayed there.

After the train started moving, people shifted around slightly and there was a slight gain in space--I was able to draw breath again. But the entire front side of my body was pressed closely against a man's entire back side. That's back side, not backside, although I was definitely pushed against that, too. My breasts were squashed into his shoulder blades (he was Japanese, and thus not much taller than (by American standards) short li'l ol' me, and my trapped hand sat in between right-below-my-neck and right-below-his.

And when we got to the next station, which was mine, we all flooded off and I was set free. I stood quietly on the platform, out of the way of the mass of humanity going down the stairs, and just let the cold air wash around me for a minute before transfering to my final train.

I can only imagine what this guy thought. Was he turned on? Did he resent the stupid gaijin (foreigner) bitch pushed up against him? Was he thinking anything at all? Sometimes your brain turns off on these rides. I'll never know, as I never saw his face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home