Know The Osmosing Volume

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

And so, the circle grows ever-wider.

Hello, everyone. Bridget Lough at your service. Really, though, I suppose it's at my own; blogging is a fairly masturbatory habit. To self-indulgence, then!

I just checked my email to find an invite from one Alan Orlanski to join the suite's blog. I wasn't expecting anything this early; Alan promised me a spot in the blog when I went to Japan, so as to log my far-off travels, but that doesn't begin for another month yet. The Japanese semester system is weird, compared to ours; they begin their year in April, and then go until the end of July. They have a short break, and then start again in September, and go until December. Winter break happens, and then they have a final term from January to March. Seems a bit uneven to me, but there you have it. So essentially I'll be having my first semester of junior year all over again.

There is a slip of paper sticky-tacked to the wall of my bedroom; I'm staring at it right now. It says, placed carefully above a glow-in-the-dark sticker of Neptune, "Remember the osmosing volume." This was originally placed as a reminder to myself, whenever I felt too analytical, to harken back to a conversation that Alan and I had at the beginning of my senior year in high school. Instead of ripping apart every topic that came to mind, dissecting things, I was to osmose them instead, imbibe and just let things be as they are.

I put bits of that conversation as a quote on my senior page. People (who noticed it) were shocked; Alan wasn't exactly seen as a person who would say such things, and the quote sounded really guru-like.

Anyway, all of this is to say that I suppose now, instead of remembering the osmosing volume, I ought choose to know it. I should already have become it.

It's interesting, though, that this should come to mind; I never look at that slip of paper anymore, but just the other day someone saw it and asked me what it meant. I smiled and the expression on my face must have been so nostalgic; I said only, "Oh... it's just something I put up in high school, to remind me to be a fuller person."

At any rate. It's now 5 AM and I worked all day on my feet, hanging clothes up after cow-like people who think that being in a thrift store means "STREW EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE AND LEAVE SHOPPING CARTS FULL OF CRAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STORE! WOOHOO!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home